The Alumni Association of the college of engineering, Guindy had its genesis in the year 1925, when Rao bahadur, G. Nagaratnam Ayyar, a distinguished Alumnus and the first Indian principal of the college. He initiated the formation of College Of Engineering Old Boys Association. He was the Founder Secretary of the Association and remained so for the next eleven years till he retired. A convention was established in 1936 that the Chief Engineer of PWD would be the President of the Association and the Principal of the College would be the Secretary.
The first set of Bye-Laws and rules and regulations were framed in 1959 and the Association was registered under the Societies Act XXI (1860) on August 20 1959. Er. J.M. Frederick, Er. P.Rajagopal Pillai, Er. S. Panchanathan, Er. R. Ramaswamy, Er. A.P. Jambulingam, Er. A. Srinivasan, Er. P. Sivalingam, Er. T. Muthian and Er. K.V. Ekambaram were the signatories to the Rules and Regulations.
Er. J.M. Frederick was the President and Er. P. Rajagopala Pillai was the Secretary. Two faculty members served as Treasurer and Joint Secretary respectively. The first AGM was conducted on December 10, 1960 and a Rally was held on the occasion. The General body elected the first set of office bearers and committee members.
The name of the Association was changed in the year 1985 to “Alumni Association of the College of Engineering, Guindy” since it was felt that the name Old Boys Association did not reflect the actual reality as the number of women engineers were significant in the membership of the Association. The Bye-Laws were also amended. The new name was registered on October 10 1985 under the Tamil Nadu Societies Act XXVII (1975).
Initially the Association was functioning in a portion of the main building of the College. As membership grew, so did the spectrum of activities. The increase in membership was very high in the later half of the eighties. The members were unanimous in their opinion that an independent building was essential to effectively carry on the activities of the Association. There were generous donations from Alumni particularly from 1963 batch and Er. Lionel Paul. A formal proposal for a building was presented in 1989. The University administration was extremely helpful. The building was completes and was formally inaugurated on August 30, 1991 by the then Education Minister, Thiru Rm. Veerappan. It was named Alumni Centre.
It was decided to increase the facilities available at the Alumni Centre by constructing a well equipped lecture hall in the first floor. Thiru A.C. Muthiah (1965, M) contributed generously towards the construction. The construction was taken up in 1997 and the completed work was inaugurated by Er. R.M. Vasagam, then Vice Chancellor, Anna University in August 1998. The lecture hall was air conditioned with contributions from 1978 batch. It was inaugurated on July 6, 2005 by Dr.D. Viswanathan, the then Vice Chancellor of Anna University
With the proposed construction of guest rooms expected to be completed in 2011, there is bound to be greater interaction between the Alumni and the Association.